Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Buses buses buses p2

More on buses! Here it comes.

Well, I have used a lot of buses since I've been here. So on the previous post I generally talked about the look of the buses around Brighton, in this post I will talk about how they run.

First and foremost the most annoying part: You can only get on or off a bus at a stop. Now, for you Europeans this might sound normal. But in İstanbul most drivers, depending on how frequent the bus is and if you are not in traffic, would stop anywhere near bus stops to let you on which is an amazing thing. Drivers here don't let me on while they're waiting for a green light literally 5 metres away from the bus stop. I know it's about insurance and stuff but they give you such a weird look that I almost got into fights with two different drivers. Now I don't even go for the buses waiting the red light.. Sad..

OK, now a positive point, they don't let people on the bus if it gets too crowded. Amazing!! It's exactly the opposite in İstanbul, I might have a lot of illegitimate children because of those crowded bus rides (I hope you get the joke but I seriously doubt it). Here they stop it at a level that makes sense. Kudos for that drivers.

One more thing that I don't like and can be improved is the payment of the bus fare. Stupidly everyone pays the driver, which takes so much unnecessary time.. What's even more annoying is that they have the utilities for payment with cards but they're only active for students (doesn't include higher education students) and seniors. I'm hoping it will spread to everyone so that the trips will take half the time. I'm no exaggerating, it sometimes takes 3-4 minutes for a bus to move from a stop.  Such a big waste of time.
Seriously, the bus takes 25-30 minutes from where I live to uni if there's no traffic and a lot of people getting on, this does not include the waiting time for the bus. It takes me 25 minutes with my bike to go the same distance and it's a very, very shitty bike. So you can guess.

OK, one more thing and then I go, back in the day, I always said that if you say thank you to your doctor, you should also say thank you to the bus driver. Well whadaya know, most people do that in Brighton. I think it's a really good thing that just puts a person (both the driver and you) in a good mood. Kudos to everyone.

Well, I think that's all I have for buses. I'll let you know if I notice anything new.
See you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment